Mama Themba provides hope to vulnerable new Mothers in the Western Cape of South Africa by offering them valuable antenatal and breastfeeding education.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

It does matter.

Remember the granny I mention in my previous blog? She is raising twin boys and had to give up her job in order to take care of them. I admire her love and dedication. She has since legally adopted the two boys and so the mother has no claim on them. This is important for the security of the boys, but also for the woman (and her husband) raising the two. They are giving them their all – all the love you and I can imagine that anyone will have for their own children and so much expense too, and the risk that maybe one day they can lose them is just agonizing. So the boys are now officially theirs, with all that entails.

Granny left the hospital with some gifts from Bosom Buddies, including a bucket with 10 organic cotton nappies. As we all know, disposable nappies are very expensive and also not great for the environment, so we thought it pertinent to rather give them cotton nappies as a gift, plus some etra clothes, blankets and products. Since they were premature, they stayed, with their granny, in the hospital for a few weeks. Our volunteers got to know them relatively well, as we do most of the moms who stay in the kangaroo room with their prem or sick babies. We spent many visits with them praying and just chatting.

We have received the following letter from magnificent granny:
(please bear in mind that she is of Muslim faith, and consider the power of prayer)

“Dear Mrs Frances (of Bosom Buddies)
I would like to sincerely thank you for the contribution for the twins. It has come in very handy. I just thought that morning, where would I get help for some nappies? The dear lord Jesus then sent you on my way with a bag filled with blessings. My husband and I really appreciate it. When I took the two children, I said God, please give me a mustard seed of faith, that which I cannot see, to raise these boys.

My prayer for you, the nurses and everyone who came along my way with these two innocent children, is that ‘God, when you bless others, do not pass these people. Come bless them with a wealth of blessings.’

The giver gets more than the receiver.

Thank you, thank you. God’s richest blessings.
Yours faithfully”

What we do DOES matter, CHANGES lives and plants that mustard seed of faith. Every touch, every smile, every blessing and prayer has the potential to save a life. Mind-blowing and awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment