Mama Themba provides hope to vulnerable new Mothers in the Western Cape of South Africa by offering them valuable antenatal and breastfeeding education.

Monday, February 27, 2012

February News

A friend asked me recently if the work I do doesn’t get me down. Well, to answer this is complicated. I love and have a real passion for Bosom Buddies. I love meeting the new moms, collecting their stories and cooing over the babies. I enjoy praying for them and obviously it is a pleasure to bless them with our Bosom Buddies bag. I have grown quite fond of the staff at both Helderberg Hospital and Macassar and try to foster and grow these relationships as colleagues and friends. My volunteers are priceless and my staff is precious and valued. Fundraising is hard, but we have been provided for every single month and have not once gone without something we need. Just last month we ran out of sanitary towels (one of our biggest expenses and an absolute essential in our bags) and had to go without for two hospital visits before a mountain full arrived at our door! You see, God always provides. Tuli asked me in the morning if it is time to start praying for sanitary pads and I said I’ve been praying for weeks but please go ahead. That afternoon the truck pulled in, a literal answer to our prayer.

I am asked how I can bear dressing a stillborn baby or endure a grieving mother’s tears on my shoulder. It is by the grace of God only that I have grown strong. I take myself away from the grimness of the sluice room, the baby wrapped in plastic surrounded by dirty laundry and am thankful for the opportunity that this child will at least have a last gentle, loving touch. That he/she is leaving evidence of a LIFE. I take his/her footprint to be remembered by the mother, that she will have something to cling to, to cry over and to remember her baby by. This process is somehow liberating and comforting.

What does get me down is ignorance and prejudice and intolerance. People are often quick to judge and condemn, without sufficient information or a full, clear picture, without having walked in the other person’s shoes. Statements like “they should all be sterilised” or “why do they keep having babies when they can’t afford them?” or “if you can’t feed them, don’t breed them” are the worst forms of bigotry and narrow-mindedness I have come across. What about “it is probably better that the baby did not survive?"

Is my grief more severe, true or deeper than yours simply because I am white middle-class and have a university degree? Do ‘these people’ deserve their children less than you or I? Do ‘they’ deserve inferior medical care and scary, horrible birth experiences? Do ‘they’ need counselling after the loss of a child?

Strange that in all my time spent in townships, gang-filled and traditionally ‘unsafe’ areas, I have been welcomed courteously and it is only in the suburban malls and tea rooms that I come across this small-mindedness and bias. Strange and sad.

1 comment:

  1. To God be the Glory...it is always the minority that make a positive difference in the lives of the people that would never have been touched even by the own families.

    Thank you for your willingness to do what you do... May God bless you and the work you do always. Zuko Xalisa

    ReplyDelete